Joanne Russell: A new experience, a lasting impression

By David Ullman, Red Cross writer and visual storyteller

On September 28th, 2022, Vermonter Joanne Russell landed in Miami, Florida. She was more than 1,600 miles from home. Joanne is a mother of three, works full time and is active in her community. But with an empty nest at home, she decided it was time to volunteer with the American Red Cross. Hurricane Ian, a Category 4 storm, had just pummeled southwestern Florida. Joanne’s first deployment would be to help those Ian hit hardest. 

“I felt kind of anxious about that having never been deployed before and just didn’t know what I was walking into,” Joanne said.

At the airport she met up with other Red Cross volunteers. It took them 12 hours to drive from Miami to Tampa, a distance normally traveled in less than five hours.  The destruction and chaos Ian left behind slowed travel on every major road. Recovery would take time – and these Red Crossers would do everything they could to help. 

For Joanne, volunteerism has always been a central part of her life, “a passion” in her words.  

“It was actually watching all these disasters on the news and just feeling really, really helpless. There has to be more than just sending money that works here,” she said. “It was during one of those coverages that I just happened to see the Red Cross had been deployed and was setting up. I thought, ‘Well gee. I should look into that and see what that entails.’ And that’s kinda how it started.”

Joanne was assigned to the overnight shift at the Red Cross shelter in Estero, Florida. She worked from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. to help assemble cots, keep the facility clean and maintain the break room. However, she says her most rewarding duty was comforting clients.  

“I connected with quite a few people while I was there and I feel really, really good about the connections that I made. I do feel that, for a variety of reasons, I was able to provide comfort to them and that was important to me.” 

She says a few of those connections stand out and still bring a wave of emotion when she thinks of them. She recalls one experience with a mother and son… 

“They just both looked really in shock,” she remembered. “They were shaking. I grabbed a cup of coffee, and I sat down, and I just started chatting with them.” 

Over the course of the conversation, Joanne was able to answer some of the mother’s questions and called in her supervisor to answer others.

Joanne says one experience with a young woman holds a special place in her heart. This woman showed up agitated and uncomfortable. She was having a hard time communicating with the shelter registrars and it was preventing her from entering the facility. She eventually pointed to Joanne saying, “No, I want her.”  

Although Joanne had never previously registered a client, she didn’t hesitate to jump in. She gestured to the registration volunteers around her as she told the young woman, “I’m happy to do this, but I have to let you know I’ve not done this piece before, so I will need their help.”

After registering the woman, Joanne continued to be a source of comfort.

“We went around and looked at the donated clothes pile to get her some warmer clothes. Got her tucked into bed and she slept for a while. I feel really good about that too, that I was able to give her some sort of calm or comfort, whatever it was she needed; that she felt safe to be around me.   

“That particular story kind of makes me cry. Sometimes she would share a song on her phone with me. She gave me a lucky penny she found. Sometimes she would chat with me,” Joanne continued.  

“I felt very fortunate to have that experience.” 

After two weeks, Joanne returned to Vermont, bringing with her life-changing experiences and a special bond with those volunteers with whom she served.  

“The people I worked with on the night shift, we have formed our own little chat group. We stay in touch with each other via text message quite a bit. They were phenomenal people. Some were newbies and some were veterans. And I was grateful for all of them. I feel like I made lifetime friendships with them,” she said.

Deploying on a future disaster is high on Joanne’s priority list. Time and distance from her deployment has allowed her to filter, sort and digest her experiences in Florida, leaving her with a lasting revelation. 

“These people all suffered tremendous devastation, destruction and loss; and they were kind and compassionate. To each other. Not just the Red Cross people. Everybody. People who had lost everything were kind and compassionate to each other.  

“It (Hurricane Ian) was the great equalizer. Everybody was in the same boat.  And they just chose kindness and compassion instead of hatred, anger and frustration. That’s what will stick with me,” she said.


Our lifesaving mission wouldn’t be possible without volunteers and donors. This holiday season, join us to turn your compassion into action. Visit redcross.org to get involved and help those in need.

Comments