From kidney donor to blood donor: Jenney Dionne finds herself giving the gift of life

By Brian Bouley, Aroostook County Community Manager

Most people are good people, they go about their daily lives, hold down a job, raise a family, pay bills, and take care of all the things that life throws at them. By the end of the week, some of us, depending on how old you are, are ready to relax and kick up our feet, but Jenney Dionne is not like most people I know.

Jenney and her husband Dennis married back in 2011 – and with their blended family, Jenney is outnumbered by her husband and five boys. I first met Jenney on a professional level about a decade ago while I was working promoting businesses for our local Chamber of Commerce. She and my wife were already close friends, but I hadn’t had the opportunity to get to know her yet. 

It was 2015 and Jenney had recently opened a salon and spa in my hometown of Madawaska, Maine, and her business was thriving. She rents space to eight people who offer various services. She also provides training opportunities for students. After speaking with her that day about her business, goals and ambitions, I remember thinking her determination, energy and warm and friendly way with people was infectious.

The more I got to know her, the more I learned how selfless and giving she is. In June of 2021, after finding out that a family member needed a kidney transplant, Jenney donated one of her kidneys to a stranger so that her cousin’s wife would move to the top of the recipient list. Thankfully, her cousin's wife received her lifesaving kidney – and Jenney received a letter from the woman who got her kidney. She asked if they could meet – and expressed her gratitude for the amazing gift Jenney had given to her and her daughter.

Last month, I met up with Jenney at the American Red Cross St. John Valley blood drive in Fort Kent, Maine where we we had a chance to catch up as she was once again "giving the gift of life"...

Question: What compelled you to donate a kidney, especially since you have so much on your plate?

Jenney: Well, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do in this world? Help one another. I honestly didn’t think twice about seeing if I was kidney donor match. It’s like donating blood every other month, knowing my one pint of blood can possibly save up to three lives, makes me feel like I’m contributing to society. It makes me feel good.

Question: You’re here today to donate blood. Are you a regular donor and if so, do you know how much blood you’ve donated so far?

Jenney: Well, I was a regular donor when I was younger and lived in Connecticut. For some reason, I couldn’t transfer my information when I moved, so I just opened a new account when I arrived in Maine. I believe I was at about 19 pints before I moved, and now I’m at 16 pints here in Maine.

Question: What does being a blood donor mean to you?

Jenney: I find it unfortunate that only 3% of eligible donors donate blood and most people don’t even consider it until they, or someone they know, needs it. Donating blood means a lot to me. I believe that it's part of our responsibility as humans to give back and help if we can. That, and Oreo cookies, I love the mini-Oreo cookies they give out after we donate. 

As I finished up my talk with Jenney, I thanked her for her time and for her donation and she asked me for a favor. She made me promise to thank those who make it possible for everyone in Aroostook County to donate blood  the Red Cross employees and volunteers on the front lines and those behind the scenes. 

The American Red Cross is lucky to have wonderful volunteers who support blood drives all across Maine – and people, like Jenney, who continuously roll up their sleeves to donate lifesaving blood. This Red Cross Month – and all year through, we thank you!

If you are interested in learning more about donating blood, visit RedCrossBlood.org

Comments