Red Cross Aids Dozens Displaced by Waterville fire

 By Dan Dowling, Regional Red Cross Communications Manager

Heather Gilbert
& Jeremy Varney
 “I started hearing the alarm going off and someone yelling, ‘There's a fire on   your floor!’

 Heather Gilbert lives in a 50-unit apartment building in Waterville, Maine.   Early Monday morning a fire broke out on the fourth floor – claiming the life   of one resident and displacing dozens more, including Gilbert. 
  “I opened my door, and it was filled with black smoke,” she said. 

 “I was scared because I opened that door and all I could see was smoke,”   added Jeremy Varney, another resident in the building. “I could hear some guy   at the bottom of the stairs yelling, ‘Get out, get out!’”

Gail Levesque
 Varney has been through a fire before. He knew   this one was serious, and he needed to get out   quickly. Many people don’t realize you only have   two minutes to escape a home fire.

The fire at Elm Towers is the largest the city has seen in recent memory, according to the Waterville Fire Department. As the residents evacuated, the American Red Cross was ready to help. Trained volunteers were on hand to offer care and comfort to 48 residents. 

“They've all been very, very sweet. Really, I can't complain,” said Gail Levesque, who has lived in the building for 15 years. “You haven't stopped. I mean, you were there on the property with us. You've come here into our hotel with us. I mean, you haven't stopped. And it's been good to see a friendly face. It’s amazing.” 

The Red Cross is providing a variety of services to meet these individuals' immediate needs. Support varies by person and may include financial assistance, disaster-related health services, like replacing medications and medical devices, as well as emotional support. Working together with community partners, the Red Cross is also ensuring these residents (and their pets) have access to three meals a day, short-term housing and any necessary supplies.

“They've helped me out so much,” said Gilbert. “I didn't have anything on except for a tank top and my PJs and my sneakers. I talked to the Red Cross people. They gave me a voucher and I went and got clothes. It was absolutely wonderful.”

Varney added, “They've been nice enough to feed us, give us clothes and help us with toiletries, all that stuff. I'm just thankful that we're okay.” 

The Red Cross responds to 60,000 disasters a year — the vast majority of these are home fires. While you can’t predict when a fire may happen, you can prepare. Talk with your family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year. If a fire occurs, in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. 

In the days ahead, Red Cross caseworkers will continue connecting with Gilbert, Varney, Levesque and all their neighbors to provide help and hope as they map out a longer-term recovery plan. The residents say this support has played a significant role in helping them cope with the stress of this disaster.

“They're wonderful. I never knew what the support was from the Red Cross. They're willing to help you in any way they can. And I'm grateful and thankful for them and helping me out,” Gilbert said.

If you are interested in becoming a Red Cross volunteer, visit redcross.org/VolunteerNNE to find opportunities near you.



Comments