Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with Regional Disaster Officer John Montes

Every September 15 – October 15, our contry celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month. It’s a time to recognize the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States. At the Red Cross, we’re spotlighting John Montes, Regional Disaster Officer for the Northern New England Region.

John sat down with us recently to talk about his heritage and its impact on his life and career. John was born in Boston, Massachusetts into a Cuban American family.

“I was raised in a home where my grandparents only spoke Spanish and my siblings mostly spoke English,” John said. “This allowed me to be fluent in both languages with no accent.  Well, except that I
guess I have a Boston accent in English and Cuban accent in Spanish.”

Here’s a bit more of our conversation:

Introduce us to your family. What influence have your parents had on your life?

John's mother and grandmother in Cuba
JOHN: My family is truly an example of the American dream. My parents both came from Cuba and met while working as clerks at Blue Cross in the 1960’s. They managed to have amazing careers and five kids who have all been very successful. My parents valued education so much that my mother became a school principal in Boston for 29 years. My father retired after 25 years at Polaroid, finished a master’s degree in education in four months, and became a science teacher. That also translated into them being leaders in our community. My father as the deacon of our local catholic parish and my mother serving on several boards and associations that invested in our local community.  My mother was even recognized with an honorary PHD from Boston College in Humane Letters. We are so lucky to have had the example of hard work, dedication and value for education that they instilled in all of us. 

What influence has your Cuban American culture had on your life?  

JOHN: So many it’s hard to count. I’m incredibly proud of my culture and the way it binds my family together. It allows me to be incredibly open-minded and understanding of those who came from other countries to seek the American dream. The struggle my parents experienced leaving Cuba as teenagers for a new country during the revolution has instilled a great sense of patriotism in my family. We are very proud Americans and appreciate the liberty and freedom that comes with being U.S. citizens. 

What do you love about your culture? 

JOHN: One of my favorite traditions is that we celebrate Christmas Eve as a family and roast a whole pig. My heritage also means I have a love for Cuban food and I am constantly looking for great Cuban restaurants to remind me of my dad’s cooking.

How do you celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month?  

JOHN: My family views this month as a reminder to stay connected and remember not only where we came from, but the things that bind us together. We will gather for a cookout in two weeks and probably have lots of black beans and rice and tell lots of stories of generations past. 

Why is it important to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month? How can others celebrate? 

JOHN: I think that it is important as Americans to understand that we are country made up of the mixing of many different cultures – and those cultures coming together make us stronger and more connected. We should be proud of where we come from and the traditions we bring with us. I hope that others will go out and support a Latino owned business or attend a cultural event in their community this month to learn about our culture – and share theirs with us.

Tell us about your professional background, and how you landed at the Red Cross.

JOHN: I have 23 years of experience working in emergency medical services and emergency management. I came to the Red Cross to work somewhere that allows me to connect with others and provide services to help them. The Red Cross mission and values resonate with me. I came from a for profit healthcare system and being a leader in that environment didn’t fit with my need to help others as a humanitarian.

How does your heritage intersect with being a Red Crosser?  

JOHN: My heritage and language make it easier for me to connect with our team members and clients. When a disaster strikes, to have clear communication with someone who can speak to you in your native language can be an extremely comforting thing. Frequently, I share my culture with my teammates through stories and food. It’s a great way for us to connect and learn more about each other. 

Comments