A Mother’s Gratitude Becomes a Lifesaving Mission

By Lafe Low, Red Cross writer

When a parent receives a critical diagnosis for their child, it is a life-changing event. That was certainly the case for Jessie Marunowski and her husband. 

“When our daughter was unexpectedly diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, we were told she had two weeks to live unless we started her treatment immediately,” she says. “When you get handed that kind of news, you’re a train wreck.”

Jessie & Lydia Marunowski
The treatments for Jessie’s daughter, Lydia, were going to require a significant amount of blood. 

“She had a long protocol of chemotherapy. Sometimes she’s had three different kinds [of chemotherapy] in one day,” says Jessie. “She also had lumbar punctures; the fancy name for spinal taps. She had lot of blood transfusions.”

Seeing how this donated blood truly saved her daughter’s life had a profound impact on Jessie. 

“When you watch your child getting blood to help save her life, it’s pretty influential. After two and a half years of going through treatments and blood donations and watching somebody else’s donated blood pumping through her veins—unknown people—the gratitude you feel is almost indescribable,” she says. 

That deep sense of gratitude Jessie felt from her experience with her daughter’s treatment changed the way she looked at the whole process of donating blood. She was inspired to do whatever she could to help ensure those who need blood will have it.

 “After I watched her and helped her through her journey, I told myself I was going to start giving blood again and I was going to organize blood drives,” she says. “And I have O-negative type blood. O-negative is critical, so I give every two months as I can.”   

On July 13, the American Red Cross declared an emergency blood shortage as the nationwide blood supply fell nearly 25% in June. Two weeks later, it became a blood crisis – only the second declared in Red Cross history. 

The shortage is especially serious for O-positive and B-negative blood types. Donors with these blood types are encouraged to make a Power Red donation, if possible and where available. A Power Red donation let donors safely donate two units of red blood cells. Type O-positive blood is typically in high demand, but unfortunately short supply. Type O-positive blood is the most common blood type and is needed for everyday transfusions. Type B-negative blood is less common, but still in high demand.

Donating Right at Work

Jessie has focused her blood drive organizational efforts on the United States Forest Service (USFS) office where she works in Campton, New Hampshire. 

“Last year I thought why not organize a blood drive here at work,” she says. “If I can keep influencing others about the importance of giving blood, I feel like it’s a priceless thing I can do to give back.”

Jessie has run two blood drives at her office so far and plans to run one every year. Donors are all current or former USFS employees. The two drives she has run thus far have proven quite successful, even getting some donors to sign up for Power Red donations, which allow donors to safely give a concentrated dose of red cells. This type of donation uses an automated process separates your red blood cells from other blood components, then comfortably returns your plasma and platelets to you. 

“We usually get around 30 to 35 units. I’ve had five or six do Power Reds. There are certain eligibility requirements [to donate Power Reds]. You have to be a certain height and weight. It’s more blood that’s donated, so it counts as donating two pints,” says Jessie.

During the course of organizing and promoting her blood drives, Jessie always shares a bit of her story and her experience with her daughter’s treatment to help inspire potential donors. 

“My daughter agreed I could share her story, so when I send out reminder emails to my coworkers, I always share a picture of her and share a little bit about her journey,” she says. “It’s just a couple of sentences, but enough to make an impact on somebody. It’s a great success story.”

Not only does Jessie feel gratitude for the blood donations that saved her daughter’s life, she also spreads that gratitude through the blood drives she has organized. 

“Folks afterward are always thanking me for organizing this during a workday. It makes it that much easier to give,” says Jessie. “A lot of younger folks are like, ‘Wow I can do this in a comfortable environment. I’ve never done this before. I didn’t realize it was so easy.’ It’s fun and it makes you feel like you’re doing something really good. It’s like liquid gold and you’re giving it away.”

On the Day of the Drive

The Red Cross team is on hand to support Jessie’s efforts along the way. Her supervisors and the USFS itself are also fully supportive. “The Red Cross offers a rep who is available to help with planning, timelines, recruitment goals, and example emails,” she says. “When I first started, I went to my supervisor and asked for approval because we’re using a big conference room all day and we have a lot of people working at this headquarters. I send a “Save the Date” about three months out. Then I send out colorful reminder emails on a regular basis starting about two months prior. There’s a lot of good positive energy around those reminder emails.”

The hard work continues right up to and through the day of the drive.

“On day of the drive, I meet with the Red Cross team; all the phlebotomists and team leader for the Red Cross and make sure they have everything they need. I make myself available all day. Then after the drive, I make sure to thank the donors and reach out to them and send final results just to continue that good positive energy.”

The enduring impact of the difference blood donations can make in someone’s life continue to inspire Jessie. 

“I love giving back to my local community, and to know that it’s up to me to make that happen. It just feels so good because there’s this huge amount of indescribable gratitude when someone is giving a piece of their body to a stranger,” she says. “It’s a life-saving thing for someone else in need. You don’t need to know who that person is. It’s a selfless act of giving liquid gold. Especially in this day and age, we need positivity. And I feel this emanates positivity and joy and gratitude.” 

And thankfully, Jessie’s daughter continues to thrive. 

“I am continually grateful that she is thriving and alive and had incredible medical care,” says Jessie. “She just graduated college. She’s 21. I don’t know if people with blood cancer would make it without transfusions.”

This experience has set Jessie on a course of donating and organizing that is likely to continue. 

“The Red Cross asked me what my goal was [for the first drive] and I was like, ‘Maybe eight to 10 people. I don’t know what to expect,’” she says. “We more than tripled that the first year. I had wanted to do this for so long and it was so successful. The next one is in March of 2027.”

The support of Jessie’s workplace extends beyond mere logistical support. 

“Our employees are encouraged to donate blood and we’re given time to do that.” 

While Jessie’s drives are focused specifically on USFS staff, there are plenty of opportunities to be a lifesaver for patients in need. To make an appointment to give blood, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).


Comments